Governor quits in protest at £600,000 spending

A SCHOOL governor has resigned in protest after a Knutsford primary school unveiled plans to build two new classrooms.

Bexton Primary School on Blackhill Lane has submitted the plans to Cheshire East Council to extend the school’s buildings.

The application relates to a proposed extension that will provide the new classrooms and associated facilities, and will also form a link block between the currently unconnected halves of the school.

Bill Gore, a governor at the school for four years, said he could not back the plans – thought to be costing Cheshire East Council £600,000 – as he did not deem them as being essential, and decided to stand down last week.

<SCRIPT language=’JavaScript1.1′ SRC=”http://ad-emea.doubleclick.net/adj/N3784.136896.NEWSQUEST.CO.UK/B6300152.6;abr=!ie;sz=300×250;click0=http://oas.newsquestdigital.co.uk/5c/www.knutsfordguardian.co.uk/news/9532758.Governor_quits_in_protest_at___600_000_spending/index.php/L32/449152604/Left2/NDM/BT_MPU_Network_Feb12_ROS/BT_MPU_Network_Feb12_TradeDir.html/566869726c55375765385541422f7968?;ord=449152604?”> </SCRIPT> <NOSCRIPT> <A HREF=”http://oas.newsquestdigital.co.uk/5c/www.knutsfordguardian.co.uk/news/9532758.Governor_quits_in_protest_at___600_000_spending/index.php/L32/449152604/Left2/NDM/BT_MPU_Network_Feb12_ROS/BT_MPU_Network_Feb12_TradeDir.html/566869726c55375765385541422f7968?http://ad-emea.doubleclick.net/jump/N3784.136896.NEWSQUEST.CO.UK/B6300152.6;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=300×250;ord=449152604?”> <IMG SRC=”http://ad-emea.doubleclick.net/ad/N3784.136896.NEWSQUEST.CO.UK/B6300152.6;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=300×250;ord=449152604?” BORDER=0 WIDTH=300 HEIGHT=250 ALT=”Advertisement”></A> </NOSCRIPT>

“Teachers have had their pay held back and there’s things happening in Knutsford as part of the town plan which we can’t get done, but the council are building two classrooms,” he said.

“While it is nice to have they are not essential, and we’ve just had a hall extension built, a new playground for the early learners and now they want to build this as well.

“It’s good to have in a time when there is no financial constraints from Government and the local authority, but when buildings like Bexton Court have been shut and people are having to go out of the area to be cared for it is not on.

“Just think what £600,000 could have been spent on. People call me a champagne socialist and an old fool, and maybe I am, but someone needs to stand up and say the council is spending the money on the wrong thing.”

Three temporary classroom buildings will be demolished as part of the application.

Tony Ranfield, chairman of governors at Bexton Primary School, told the Guardian the school deserved the money being spent on it.

“We’ve had temporary classrooms for 15 years, and the council has now decided we can have this extension and are contributing the money towards it,” he said.

“The classrooms and Bexton Court are in different pots of money and the mobiles are from the education pot, and what Bill wants is money from community rates for the town plan.

“This money is something we have been awarded and chosen to have done. The mobiles are getting old, and the fact that the school is successful is considered – they don’t throw money at schools that are not.”

According to documents released by Cheshire East Council the application is due to be discussed at the Northern Planning Committee of the council on February 22.

http://www.knutsfordguardian.co.uk/news/9532758.Governor_quits_in_protest_at___600_000_spending/

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.